Does the gel polish dry in the lamp: know the reasons
Today, there is a huge amount of materials and tools for creating a stylish manicure. One of which is gel polish. Problems with the polymerization of gel polish are not rare, but it is not always the case in the gel polish itself. There are often problems in the nail lamp and its operation. Let's find out the reasons in this article.
GEL POLISH POLYMERIZATION TIME
Normally, the polymerization time of gel polish is:
- 30-60 seconds in a led lamp.
- up to 2 minutes in an ultraviolet lamp.
Drying time is not accurate, as much depends on the pigmentation of the varnishes, as well as the rubber content in the composition.
WHY DOESN'T THE GEL POLISH DRY IN THE LAMP?
The reasons for poor polymerization can be divided into 2 categories:
- a problem with gel polish or its application.
- problems with the lamp.
The problem with gel polish
1. Thick layer when applied. Gel polish begins to harden in the lamp from above, so if it is applied too thickly, the lower part of the coating will not have time to dry in the standard time. And increasing this time will not solve the problem. In addition, the varnish may start to wrinkle or bake, so it is best to apply the material in thin layers.
2. Strong pigmentation. For bright shades of gel polishes, the drying time is significantly increased, since the content of a special color pigment prevents the penetration of the lamp's rays into the material, which, accordingly, complicates drying.
3. The expiration date of the gel polish. The expiration date is counted from the moment when the varnish bottle was opened. On average, this is 2-3 years. Therefore, it is worth remembering when you started using this gel polish. After its expiration, gel polish can not only dry poorly, but also not stick to the nails (do not dry out and move away from the nail plate with a film).
4. Gel polish stood for a long time. If you do not use it, then over time the pigment in the bottle settles to the bottom, and due to the uneven composition, the gel polish dries poorly. Therefore, before applying a colored gel polish, it is always recommended to roll it a little in your hands, but do not shake it like a varnish: this provokes the appearance of bubbles in the gel polish!
5. Incorrect storage of gel polish. The bottle must be in a dark place and away from a working lamp, otherwise, over time, the material will thicken and dry poorly.
6. Cheap gel polish or fake. Unfortunately, no one is immune to counterfeiting. You should not save on material and it is better to buy it only from trusted manufacturers with a lot of reviews, for example, in the Global Fashion online store.
Other articles on this topic:
1. The bulbs are out of order. In lamps, especially ultraviolet ones, bulbs burn out over time and need to be replaced. If this is not noticed in time, the material may either dry worse, or not dry at all. In a UV lamp, you can replace a bulb, and in an LED or CCFL, replacement can be done at specialized centers. Therefore, it is better for a master on the stream to purchase a second lamp to replace the first one if the lamp stops working at the most inconvenient moment.
2. Low-power lamp. The lower the lamp power, the longer the gel polish will cure in it. Therefore, when buying, always pay attention to this characteristic. However, it happens that over time, the power of the lamp decreases, so here you will either have to put up with an increase in the drying time or change the lamp. Unfortunately, this can only be noticed when working with the same materials: if they begin to dry worse, then the lamp power has dropped. Buy a quality lamp --->
Related article: How to choose a lamp for a manicure? Let's figure out the nuances!
3. Incompatibility between gel polish and lamp. There are gel varnishes that are available only for a certain type of lamp, so if your varnish does not dry well, pay attention to the instructions for it, it may not be suitable for your lamp. Here we are talking about the fact that earlier some gel varnishes were suitable only for a led lamp, and sometimes only for an ultraviolet one. Now this problem is rare.
4. Wrong hand position. A lot also depends on this. If the hand is tilted, then the varnish will shift and dry out badly. In addition, in this position, the rays will unevenly hit the material.
5. Dirty lamp. The bottom of the lamp, as well as the bulbs themselves, must be periodically wiped from dust. Otherwise, contamination will reduce the flow of rays, and the varnish will dry out worse. Observe the rule: wipe the lamp inside and out after each client.
HOW TO AVOID THE PROBLEM?
To avoid the problem, you first need to study the reasons. Here are the basic rules:
- Monitor the shelf life of the gel - polish and the correct storage.
- Apply a thin layer of gel polish.
- Roll the bottle in your hands before use to evenly distribute the pigment.
- Monitor the condition of the bulbs in the lamp and its cleanliness.
You already know the main reasons why gel polish does not polymerize in the lamp. Follow simple rules and then there will be no discomfort at work.